Monday, November 21, 2011

bravery

You need to go here and read this. I don't care what your stance is on homosexuality, this is about SO much more than that.

This was my response to his article.

I just got around to reading your post. Bravo to you! 3 Cheers for you! I was raised Mormon, am still practicing and believe the doctrines I've been taught. I have an issue with those around me who can't accept someone who is gay, look down on those that struggle with addiction issues etc. I have often said my personal beliefs and some of my religious beliefs conflict each other. It's not my place to tell two people who are in love that they can't get married, regardless of what my religion teaches. I am on my second marriage, and unfortunately i'm not sure this one's going to last, but i know people who are gay who have been together for many, many years. their love is likely deeper than anything i've ever felt, they have taken the sanctity of marriage more serious than i did, even though they've never been married. i agree that we need to love everyone, the only thing that struck me a little bit is talking about spouse abusers and loving and accepting them. maybe this is where i get hung up, loving and accepting someone isn't the same as loving and accepting their choices or behaviors. maybe that's the secret to life, loving people sometimes in spite of the choices they've made. thank you for being brave enough to say what so many others wouldn't.

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I always love your insights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the secret to "real love" as I have experienced it is that you can accept someone for who they are without agreeing with their point of view or decisions. I have a very diverse group of friends for this reason. Unless you are a mean or sociopathic person there is generally something inherently good about you or something that makes you unique and special and I try to see the good in everyone. The only people I refuse to associate with are violent or mean and deceitful and I think my preservation instinct is correct about that and there is no need to associate with toxic people. I don't need to judge them but I don't need to have them over for dinner either. Not because I think I am better but because until they are better they need to keep their poison to themselves.

    ReplyDelete